Monday, September 5, 2011

Music

I've always loved music, even when I was younger. I liked to dance, and sing along with the disney movie as a kid. But now that I'm older...music has been an escape.
For years now, my heartbreak routine has been to hole up in my room and listen to song after song after song, never really caring that people missed me, or were honestly concerned. I'd just let myself fall into the rhythms set before me, especially in band, and just let myself flow with the chords.
Being in band gave me a whole new perspective on music, and I started to appreciate the classics. I began to listen to Bach or Mozart, and recently, Jazz. Falling into the songs isn't exactly a constant thought anymore, it just happens. I lose sight of all my problems, and just go with it.
Unfortunately, I've lost sight of the whole idea of music. I reached a point five months ago where I thought that I didn't want to be in band anymore, and I basically stopped singing.
I'm not that girl who could be a fantastic musician if I'd practice, and I've been told that I can sing too (I tend disagree with that one).
Recently, I've started to rediscover the joy that music used to give me. Spending months with Luna, who practically breathes music, it was hard not too. She introduced me to some fabulous artists, and has me appreciating Jazz music more than I did before.
I'll lose myself in the words, the beats. I sing along with the radio, or just sing whatever song pops in head, whenever and wherever. Right now, "Smile" by Uncle Kracker is the constant, and it actually makes me think about people or places that make me happy.
For a long time, I've been thinking about giving up band, well, music actually.
My mind has been rejecting the idea of music for a long time now, but my heart is telling me that I need it to survive.
I eat, sleep, and breathe music.
I go to sleep with a song whirling through my head.
Music is an everyday thing for me, I don't think I can live without it. It's the very air I breathe, and I almost threw it away.
I have gifts, and according to some, I need to share those with the world.
I'm sorry to say that it took me until March 2011 for me to realize any of this.
We were playing a song called "Molly on the Shore", and I remember thinking that it was absolutely impossible to play it at the speed we were supposed too.
Then, one day, I did it. I played the hardest melody with perfect ease, and I cannot describe the joy I felt. It was a bouncy, bubbly tune, and it made me remember how I used to be the bouncy, bubbly seventh grader in Clarinet class.
Music is my drug, and it's always constant.
Music will never get up and leave me.
The never ending flow of notes will always hold me in its embrace, never letting me go.
Music is in my soul, and I'm not quite ready to give it up, so maybe I'll hang onto it for just a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment