Monday, September 5, 2011

Hope

About a week ago, a good friend of mine gave me a stone with the word "hope" written on it. I carried it with me every where, mainly to remind myself that there is always hope, even in the most bleak situation. Whenever I'd lose my grip on the tiny shred of hope that lives in me, I'd take out that rock, and hang onto it for dear life.
I no longer have this rock, and here's why.
Hope can't be kept selfishly to one's self, it should be shared, especially with those who most need it. Today, I learned that some people very near my heart where involved in a very dangerous situation, and needed to be helped.
A good friend of mine's father is bipolar, and unfortunately, he's having another "episode". I was asked to babysit  the youngest boy today, so when I went to pick him up, my friend (who's 16) basically threw me out of the house, and told me to get of the house and not come back until later on. So I took my friend to practice, and spent the day with his seven-year-old kid brother. When band practice was over, I went to pick him up, and took him to get his schedule for classes, mainly to help his mother out.
While I was sitting in the hallway outside the high school library, I got a phone call. His mom was freaking out, telling me not to bring the boys back to the house until she text me.
I knew what was going by this time, and I'll admit that I was a little scared. My friend's father had come by the house last night, and busted in a window. He'd also attempted to set the whole place on fire. I'm not really sure what happened exactly after that, but I'm assuming he went looking for the boys while they were with me, and was pissed when he couldn't find them.
I took them to a friend's house with me, and I informed my friend as to what was happening.
About an hour later, their mom text me, telling me to bring them home. When I pulled in the driveway, their older sister's car was backed up to the door, and so was their mother's. Their were bags and boxes in the yard, so it was obvious that they were leaving town.
I helped them pack, and even took some of their collectibles with me so that they wouldn't be damaged if he turned back up at the house while they were gone.
I remember how hopeless their mother felt, and I remember watching her break down and just sob. The kids didn't have much hope either...one was resigned, one was pissed, the other was to young to understand what was going on.
Now back to the rock. I was in the bathroom with the sister, helping her make sure she had all the things she would need, and could tell that she wasn't exactly hopeful about anything. So...I pulled the stone out of my purse, and handed it to her.
I told her to share it with her mother, and her brothers.
However, without that little stone, I feel hopeless. I'm worried that something is going to happen to them...and if something does, I'm pretty sure that it'll hurt more than anything else at this point. These people are my family, their mother is practically my mother.
I'm praying and trying to keep my hopes up, and I'm doing my best to believe that everything is going to be alright.
They're coming back as soon as the father goes to jail, so hopefully it won't be too long.
I love them all with all my heart, and I hope that everything goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment